Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Decided What To Plant in my Bare Spot

I took Dianne's suggestion and bought some Lobelia 'Queen Victoria' (red cardinal flower). I stopped at the local nursery after work today to see if they had any and they did. They only had small 4" pots and the plants looked a bit dried out, but I bought 2 anyway. We don't have many places to purchase plants in my town, so I have to take what I can get. I especially like the dark purple foliage. The two I bought are not in bloom, but the flowers should be scarlet red.

I have not planted them yet because I just got home from getting my nails done, so I can't be digging in the dirt for at least a couple of hours. I get my nails done every other Tuesday. By the next day I am already digging in the dirt! I do wear heavy latex gloves, but still I always get dirt under the nails. It is very difficult to have decent-looking hands when you garden.

I had a full day today. Got to work at 6:15 a.m. and left at 9:00 a.m. to go to a meeting with my boss in a town 1.5 hours away. We got back to our hotel at 3:00 p.m. and I ran home and changed my clothes and went to the nursery and then to the nail salon. Finally got home at 5:15 p.m.

I see all the plants are in need of water, so I have to do that yet tonight. It was so much easier and more fun to get all of this done when I was not working every day.

5 comments:

  1. Pretty garden, pretty plants, and you take nice pictures. Down here in Texas, things are getting hot and dry. A lot of things that were flowering are done, and it's not quite time for some of the next round to begin ('bout two weeks away). We do have some things that bloom right on thru, and I agree, Zinnias do it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great flowers and you are right they are happy. I know how you feel about working all day and trying to get the gardening done. However I do enjoy it as my R&R time after crazy days in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your zinnias are so pretty! I see a few different varieties like the pom poms for one. Try them in your regular perennial garden to help fill in gaps. I literally just had that little 'crop circle' and made three rows, dropped in the seeds and they are blooming profusely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, so nice to have you visit.

    Yes, crazygramma, I do find it relaxing when I don't have tasks that are piling up and MUST BE done. I like to do it when I feel like it, not when i HAVE to!
    Yes, Dianne, I have a few varities--only because they were not marked. I thought i was buying all red, orange, yellow and I ended up with all those pink ones. Which was OK as they are the prettiest anyway! You seem to be better with seeds in the ground than I am. I swear, I can't go anything from seeds in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll like the cardinal flower. And they are hummingbird magnets!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...