Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ligularia -- The Rocket



Here is my one barely surviving Ligularia in June of 2006. It lived through that year, but never got very big.


It languished for a couple more years --until, I dug it up and put it in a plastic container so I could give it the attention it needed. It's a thirsty plant, requiring daily watering.


Each fall I buried the pot up against the house foundation
to protect it from Michigan's brutal winters.

It really took off this spring and I have been eagerly awaiting some of its tall yellow spiky flowers.

And here they are rising high above the 'Olina' lilies.

From another angle: I had forgotten that these flowers open from the bottom up. By the time the top is yellow, the bottom is dying. That's annoying, but I still love them.


Here is a healthy foliage shot:
Update: 7/11/10 4:00 P.M. - I just went out and took a picture. The one above is from two days ago.

You can see how the Ligularia has opened more in the past two days.

This last picture is a note to myself:


Self, I do not like the bold 'Charm Bracelet' daylily next to the more refined 'Capuchinos'. I think 'Charm Bracelet' would look more charming under the Ligularia. In fact, those two yellows together would make a mighty fine combination. I will probably be hauling out the shovel and wheelbarrow this weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Zoey. Your Ligularia is so pretty. I just planted one this spring so it is still a baby with one bloom. I am now hoping it survives this winter in the woodland bed. Cannot wait until it gets as beautiful as yours. Such a pretty flowerbed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that flower somewhere before, but didn't know what it was. I'm trying to remember if I've seen it in person or on a blog, or maybe in a book.

    I don't see anything that clashes with that yellow daylily, but it would look nice with the ligularia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how some plants do nothing for a few years and then all of a sudden it bursts into colour! I have two rose bushes that I planted last year in the Spring and they never got any blooms last Summer and non again this year!!! They're two different rose bushes so I really have no idea why they aren't getting any buds. The plants themselves are very healthy but rose-less.

    Your flowers are so gorgeous and I love all the varieties you have. My Easter Lily hasn't opened yet but it should in another week or so. My Vivaldi Asiatic Lilies are in full bloom now and I just love their pinkness:-) I see that yours have opened at about the same time.

    I have a few irises that I had moved last year and although they came up, they didn't flower so I'm hoping they do next year. I guess some plants just don't like being moved. lol

    Hope you're enjoying some lovely weather these days, still sunny and hot over here:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. your flowers are so pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi... I have been following your blog for about a month now. You inspired me to start my own blog! The funny thing is I put my first post on yesterday and I talked about Little Lantern Ligularia that I rescued from lowes. I am planting it tommorow! I hope I am able to nurse mine back to health so it looks as good as yours does!I am a Northern Michigan girl too! I live in Traverse City. I really enjoy going to your site every evening to read your posts and see your pics of your beautiful yard/gardens. I would love it if you would follow me.My address is frecklesandflowers.blogspot.com
    Thanks,
    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Zoey, I discovered your blog by accident yesterday 11/05/2010. You are truly a very special person.My wife think that I am nuts with all the time I spend in the garden/yard. How does your DH handles this? You do have a lot of work on your hands. When it comes to watering' I would suggest a drip system to water each zone at diffrent times. The initial cost will offset the additional time it would take for you to water all these plants so that you can spend more time making your delish spinach salads. (LOL)I have three Rocket that I purchased from Jung Seed in 2008 for less than $20. I use a lot of mulch to control moisture so that I don't have to water on a daily basis.You are an inspiration to all of us gardeners to keep doing what we love.This winter I am going to set up my own blog to add some of my pics and comments from my Z:5 garden here in Hazel Crest,IL.I have a 1 1/2 acre lot that I have expanded the garden over the years that we have been here. Next year I will just concentrate on filling in the open spots.Happy gardening, Mike B.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...