Friday, July 2, 2010

The Deck has No Blooms, but it's Not without Color!

The problem with planting only tropical plants is that you have no flower blooms until at least mid-July.

So yesterday I decided it was time to bring out the colorful deck rug


and one set of the quilts and pillows I made for the deck.
Even without flowers, this area is now quite colorful.


There is no rain in the forecast, so I can leave everything outside for at at least a few days. The only problem is that when I get home around 3:30 P.M., it's way too sunny (hot) to sit here. I may have to move this seating area to another part of the deck where I can use it Mon-Fri.

I was outside at 6:30 a.m. this morning (before I went to work) to plant some seeds I found on my kitchen desk. They should have been planted weeks ago, but I had forgotten about them.
I had two packets of these cool striped zinnias that I bought for 20 cents each. I put them in the two pots of dead dahlias that Breck's sent me and in front of this large container of cannas and dahlias. Oh, that teeny tiny Elephant Ears in the front is 'Hilo Beauty' that I got from Breck's this year. It's been a couple of months and it's still that tiny. I still cannot believe that this is what I received -- I have not even written them a letter of disappointment yet because I keep giving them the benefit of the doubt--thinking that surely they will take off in a spurt of growth soon!
I also had a packet of orange/yellow cosmos that was sent to me in the mail. I put them in two new containers of cannas that I bought at Home Depot in early June. The cannas are orange/yellow so they will look nice together should they bloom at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. WOW that quilt is so beautiful! The colors just POP.
    I love those 20 cent packs of seeds!
    Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-it is so colorful on your deck! I feel bad your plants aren't what they should be. Same here, no rain, all hand watering.
    I had planted zinnias and the deer came along and ate all the tops off. They never did that before-they only ate the sunflowers. I have a few sunflowers left. I would reseed if we were getting any rain.
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh Zoey your deck is beautiful with all the color and the greenery..you don't need flowers to brighten it up.
    I have some seeds that haven't been planted..I thought it might be too late here for this year.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...