Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Last Tango in Zoey's Garden



This one is called 'Kentucky'--a soft pumpkin color with cinnamon speckles.

I spent over 5 hours in the garden yesterday. I was out there shortly after 6:00 a.m. when I waved to my neighbor as she left for work. About noon she came back, stopped at the road, rolled down her window, and said, "Are you still at it?" I could not believe it was already noon.

I got involved in a lot of plant moving. Remember I wanted to move that big yellow daylily under the spikes of ligularia, the 'Rocket'? Here is where is was:
I moved it over a few feet and now it's right under the Ligularia.
I like it so much better in this spot. Of course it's never as simple as just moving one plant....no, no, no....I had to fill the hole from the daylily.......but with what? I decided that I needed another lavender plant. I have two in this area--one at the head of the garden and one on the side.
Can you see them? The hole is directly across from the side lavender plant.
Another lavender would form a perfect triangle. So I wandered around the Ponderosa until I found a lavender plant in one of the deck gardens. Within minutes it took a shovel ride to its new home on the opposite side of the yard.
It's pretty scrawny now. Hopefully it will survive and get big like it's new friends.



While glancing around I decided those Shasta daisies in the center had to go. I used to have a big patch of them, but removed it a couple of years ago. These are the ones that escaped.


Voila! Gone!

Now I had another big hole to fill. I decided to leave that area until I find some new plants to add to the garden. In the meantime, I brought a big container from the deck and tucked it in. I am loving that color combo of the canna 'Wyoming' leaves and the 'Capuchino' lily. There were a few other plants I moved--some iris and allium azure that were uprooted when I planted the big yellow lily and some other Shastas.

All in all I had a very exhausting, but wonderful day in my garden.

9 comments:

  1. wow Zoey...you are a busy girl....all the hard work has paid off...looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure your neighbor appreciates you living next door. Your yard is beautiful!!! Wish I lived next door.

    Second thought I'd be embarassed, my flowers wouldn't stand a chance, not near pretty enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your title..I chuckled..for a moment I thought it was your last dance in the garden, Zoey:)
    I like how you change plants around in the garden:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color of that pumpkin lily!
    I went outside this morning just to tie up a daisy that was drooping, and spent an hour deadheading! I just love being in the garden, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the coloring & freckles on 'Kentucky', so pretty! And so jealous of the Foxtail Lillies you have blooming, mine didn't do much this year. I'm going to move them come fall to a better location and hope for the best for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you have been busy in the garden. I cannot but eww and ahh whenever I look at your flower beds. LOL! They are so pretty. The dark canna leaves look so pretty with the lily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some beautiful gardens. Isn't it a good feeling to be tired from the gardens. Most especially when they look so pretty. Love love love the lily in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I am going to be one your neighbor. I will be proud that I have a neighbor who has a very amazing garden. I just wish I was your neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone,
    Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I appreciate all of your comments!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...