Sunday, September 1, 2013

Black Varnish Pseuderanthemum--common name: Chocolate Plant

I finally found the name of my mystery plant! 

After a Sunday morning-to-mid-afternoon full of heavy garden work, I was sitting on the deck perusing a small stack of old garden magazines.  I opened a Garden Design mag from 2008 and immediately saw this photo:
 

 
I think I made some sort of noise as DH looked over at me to see what was up.  "I knew I would eventually find it!" I exclaimed to his questioning look.
 
"Find what?"
 
  "The rubbery black plant in my container!". 
 
 He still looked puzzled. 
 
I explained how nobody on my blog knew what this plant was and I have been Googling terms like "black leathery plant" for months trying to find out what it was.  I finally have the answer:
 



Here it is on my deck (lower left):


Once I had the name, I found some info on the net.  As I suspected it's perennial in warmer climates

I love the color. I doubt if I will find it for sale in my town for years to come.   For those of us who love dark-foliage, it's a pretty unique container plant. As much as I dislike trying to overwinter plants indoors, I am going to give this one a try. 

Wouldn't it would look great planted underneath this canna lily with the dark striped leaves?

I wish I had purchased a few more!

7 comments:

  1. don't you just love finding answers like that...pretty photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome plant! Really stands out and love the shininess of it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dianne. I like it, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Isn't it great when you find something on line like that? Now if I could just find a pattern back that I saw last week for paper piece construction equipment.

    Did I mention I love chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray, mystery solved! I've still never heard of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...