Thursday, February 10, 2005

Domestic Diva

I have a confession--a sort of deep dark secret--I enjoy cleaning. Ah, having admitted this I feel so purged, so clean, so refreshed...I have spent the last two days in a cleaning frenzy. I know not many people will believe this, but at 4:30 a.m. I was cleaning under the kitchen sink. Yes, I removed every bottle of cleanser, took a bucket of water and Pine Sol and happily removed every trace of dust, and built up gunk that so readily accumulates under the kitchen sink. I wiped down the tops of each bottle and then put them all back in neat tidy rows. Finishing this project only left me wanting more--I glanced around looking for more dirt to conquer. Ahhhhhh, those air vents on the wall--I noticed a bit of dust in them last week. A trip down to the basement yielded the proper screwdriver and within minutes I had it off the wall and into a sinkful of soapy water. A few scrubs into the vents with a toothbrush and it was sparkling clean. I felt so good! I did two more. Then I looked into the living room and my eyes landed on the bare wood molding around the entrance door. We had a new door installed and had not yet painted the molding. Let me be more precise. The door was installed in April of 2003. Yes, nearly TWO YEARS ago. Off to the basement I went. I found some Kilz and a 2" paintbrush. In less than 20 minutes I had it primed. A 20-minute task and it had gone undone for nearly two years! I was feeling so darn good, I remained in a state of domestic bliss all morning--cleaning kitchen cupboards, vacuuming, putting ice cubes on carpet indentations from the furniture I moved yesterday. Ah, life is good. By the way do you all know about the ice cube trick? If something heavy has left indentations in your carpet, just put ice cubes on it. By the time the cubes melt the carpet nap will be normal. Really. It works. I do it all the time.

Oh, and just for the record...I enjoy cleaning only when I don't have to go to work. (remember, I have taken the rest of this week off from my paying job). It takes me back to when I was a stay-at-home wife and mother and my house was always clean because that was where I spent the majority of my time and all of my energy. I can guarantee you that when I go back to work next week, my domestic talents will greatly diminish!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, great ice cube tip! I too love to clean, love the fresh smells etc, glad I'm not alone!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found it useful. I have always felt blessed that I actually find pleasure in what many consider the mundane aspects of life. How miserable it must be to hate to do something that needs to be done so often!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...