Monday, January 31, 2005

Webshots Quilts

If you enjoy looking at other people's quilts for inspiration, check out Webshots, a searchable photo album site that has thousands of pages of the most awe-inspiring quilts. I can spend hours just surfing and drooling.
If you have read some of my earlier posts, you know that I do make quilts--rather, I make a quilt now and then. I piece by machine and hand quilt. It takes months to hand quilt a king-size piece. The quilt I am doing now was pieced in 1999--the blocks sat all neatly ironed and stacked for nearly 4 years before I was inspired to sew the top together and quilt it. It will take 100 hours (one hour per block to hand quilt). I started in November and I still have about 35 blocks to go. I don't even know how many hours it took to piece those 1-inch logs.
When I look into some of the personal photo albums from Webshots, I just cannot believe the number of quilts these ladies (and ocassionally men) produce in one year. It just boggles my mind!

4 comments:

  1. Hi again,
    well thanks for the webshots tip - just spent an hour looking through!! Fantastic stuff, very inspiring, I've added site to my faves now, I love crafts myself, I make clay beads that I sell on ebay here, and I knit. Would like to get into more textiles really. Thanks for that,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the site. You can search for anything there. I use it for gardening ideas, Christmas tree decorating, -- all sorts of things. Just type whatever you are interested in into the search box. Happy surfing, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 hours to hand quilt? You are a better woman than I am. lol I love the look of hand quilting but am afraid I don't have the time or patience to do it. Maybe someday I'll tackle a lap quilt.

    I love your log cabin quilt. The colors are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Kerry. Yes, it does take a long time, but it is a nice way to pass the winter days away.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...