Monday, July 21, 2014

Light work weekend in the Garden

I did not do much work in the garden this weekend.

I did move this 'Magic Fountain' delphinium:
and pulled a weed here and there...nothing too strenuous.

Don't you love the blue of this little delphinium 'Night Sky'?  It only gets about a foot tall.
I planted four them last weekend. I like that blue color next to the silver Lamb's Ear.

Now here's a hot color combo-orange, red and purple--whew!
I do love the red bee balm with the lavender.
 
On the other side my pink speedwell is just beginning to bloom.
 
We went to a craft show on Saturday.
I bought one of those birdhouses because the color was perfect in my garden.  Here's mine at 6:30 a.m. hanging on the end of my largest arbor:
 
Unfortunately the dreaded deer found my tasty perennial garden this weekend. They demolished a number of hostas and almost every Asiatic lily bud that had not yet opened. 
 
Bummer! I always look forward to the lilies.  Now I have to wait another year for a decent display.
 
A few nights ago J grilled the most delish burgers. He called them 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions,  on a NON-sesame seed bun. :)
 
 
They were very good. I am looking forward to an encore later this summer.

13 comments:

  1. Hi, Zoey,
    do you use any type of deer repellant on your plantings? I also have deer where I live. I have found substantial success in the use of 'Deer Stopper', 'Repels All', and 'Bobbex'. It is recommended to alternate types so the deer don't get used to the same smell.
    One must be diligent in applying this stuff, especially after a rain. I became a little too overly confident and didn't apply enough to some dark red daylilies. The next morning on my rounds, I saw all the buds were eaten off.
    Your gardens are lovely. I also like that cheery blue paint color that is used on your deck furniture and throughout the garden's decorative items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,
    Yes, I use repellent. I was using Hinder for a few years, but could not find it this year so I bought Bobbex. I got lax in my application as I had not seen any deer around in a number of weeks. Like you, I find it works as long as you apply it after every rain.

    Thank you for taking time to leave the suggestion!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flowers are gorgeous! I tried to email you but couldn't get it to work. No the quilt is a South Carolina qult from 1800's it was given to me by a friend to cut up and I wouldn't. I use it on the rope bed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for not wanting to cut it up. It's perfect for that bed! Hmmm, no idea why the email did not work.???

      Delete
  4. OMG That delicious burger. I am drooling.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way....what is the sauce that you put on this burger?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your burger looks amazing! As does your gorgeous garden. Wow! Sorry about the deer. What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to comment on your beautiful garden Zoey but then I saw the burger and all other thoughts flew out of my mind. We had grilled burgers as well so I don't really feel cheated:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good, Betty. I am not even a burger lover, but I did enjoy this one.

      Delete
  8. I love that dark purple spike in the top picture. And that bee balm is beautiful too.
    Your hamburger looks delicious. How expensive is ground beef there? The good stuff is about $6 a pound here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's in the $4.50/lb range. $6 --Outrageous!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...