Sunday, March 9, 2014

What a Winter!

This is what Michigan looks like right now:

The Great Lakes have not been this frozen over in years!  I live on the Lake Huron side and often travel up toward Lake Superior. Both are about 90%+  frozen over this year.
 
Cold weather like we have been having calls for hot comfort food, like these turkey pot pies I made a few weeks ago:
 
I used purchased pie crusts for the bottom, pre-cooked the bottom crust until almost done, added my filling, made my own top crust,  then froze them. 
 
We recently enjoyed one for dinner with some of my own frozen chives decorating the top:
 
YUM! We can't wait to have it again! It's the perfect comfort food for our winter weather (one day was -20 actual temperature---brrrrrrrrrrrr).
 
A few weeks ago, I purchased this lovely necklace from my sister from another mother, Patti,  at Osage Bluff, MO. 
I was born not far from where Patti lives in Missouri.  We have jokingly called  ourselves "sisters" because we both love quilting and have many other things in common.  Patti recently retired and began making these lovely paper-pieced quilt charms.  I put mine on a chain and it's the perfect necklace for all the black/red outfits I wear to work.  Patti has a gazillion different charm patterns and colors, so if you like this necklace, head over to her blog to see what she still has left. She keeps replenishing her stock, so keep checking her blog. 
 
I have been super busy at work the past few months (hence, the lack of posts).  DH and I recently had to attend a Chamber of Commerce dinner (work-related... otherwise I would never have put in a 6:30 am to 9:30 pm work day!)  I like my job, but that's ridiculous!
We are the couple on your right side.  As is usually the case, I enjoyed the event once I got there (For the prior 24-hrs., I complained like crazy to J. about having to go). 
 
 In the end, I had a good time socializing with the people at our table.  There were over 500 people there and our table was the last one called to go to the buffet--talk about bad luck!
 
Spring is only a few weeks away!  I just ordered some of these double everblooming hardy geraniums from Brecks:
 
They are Birch Double, Summer Skies, and Southcombe Double. Do any of you grow any of these?  If you have any tips for me,  I would love for you to leave a comment!
 
I hope you all enjoy the last few days of winter!
 

7 comments:

  1. It is nice to see you here, Zoey. How have we ever made it through this sinter? That is a really cute necklace and how perfect for you because of your quilting. I love the picture of you and your hubby. I am the same way-complain about having to go somewhere and then love it once I am there. lol
    Your pot pie looks wonderful I love what you did with the top crust- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. it has been a heck of a winter for everyone....hope you thaw out soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that I am not the only one ordering flowers for spring. We have been having the worse winter in years in our state too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been horrible weather wise, but all of you on the great lakes have had it worse than most, except for the extreme east coast people. I don't have any geraniums, They are lovely, hope they are perennial for you but after this winter, I'm rethinking having anything that is not zone 4.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cher,
      I tried to answer your comment, but I get this message back:
      Your mail could not be delivered because the recipient is
      only accepting mail from specific email addresses. If you feel you received
      this in error, please contact the recipient directly and ask them to check
      their email settings. (in reply to end of DATA command)

      I am not sure if you realize this is happening, so thought I would let you know.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. Love you sister! Thanks for the shout out.

    Your pot pie looks wonderful, I cheated and bought some from the frozen food case a month or so ago. Bla!!!

    It is 60 here today, 70 is predicted tomorrow and then 40's and snow on Wednesday. CraZy!!

    You and hubby look cute! I know what you mean, you hate going, but once there it's usually not too bad. At least it was a free meal.

    Sew on ~ ~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Xoie....Nice to hear from your corner of the world. I could go for one of those pies....one of my favorite meals. I used to like Marie Callender's....but they have changed the crust...yuck. I like to make Ina Garten's recipe.
    Can't wait to see your garden containers....Balisha

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...