Monday, June 1, 2009

Posthumous Post

That would be posthumous for the bat, not me!
Jean left a comment on my last post about the bat hanging on my foundation in broad daylight:

I would say that there is something wrong with the bat if it is right outside like that. Be careful!... Jean
Jean, we wondered the same thing, and it turns out you were correct



When I got home from work today, the poor little bat lay dead on the concrete sidewalk. My husband got home before I did and he had already buried the bat. I made a little cross and sacrificed a blooming tulip for the grave.



DH buried it right in my flower garden next to the sidewalk (4 inches from where it succumbed to whatever disease it had). Personally, I would have have given it a ride on the end of the shovel and threw it over the rockwall so I didn't have to worry about digging up the carcass when I plant flowers. But since it was already there, I made a little cross (now I will remember where it is). I can assure you that I do not want to be digging up bat bones when I decide to plant in this area!



So here's a toast to the life of the bat:

Your life was swift,
That's no doubt,
I'm sorry you died
Before the mosquitoes
Came out

6 comments:

  1. Zoe,

    you are funny...rest in peace Mr. Bat....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Zoey I check in and you've had a bat and it is already deceased..things happen fast when I miss time in blogland.
    Your little toast is funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess he was sick!
    We see them swooping around here at times. I remember mom had one behind her shutter one time when I still lived there and he came out at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered also- a bat just doesn't sit around in broad daylight like that. Well RIP little beast. Like the little grave-marker you made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! You were very kind to the deceased bat. I wouldn't have been so kind after spending 8 hundred dollars to rid my attic of them! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a most posthumorous post!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...